Saturday, September 5, 2020

The Politics v. The Person

 INDECISION 2020.101

THE POLITICS vs. THE PERSON

Few years back a woman I admire asked what I thought of then President Barrack Obama. Being a conservative evangelical church member one might assume answer to this query must, at least to some degree, be in the negative. Everybody knows we ‘conservatives’ don’t like you radical Democrats.

My answer, as it often is with me, was not along anyone’s doctrinal protocol. “I think he is a good man” (I still think so). She being obviously somewhat taken aback, I added: “That doesn’t make him a good President, but that’s not what you asked.”

It has often been said historians cannot know historical significance of a sitting President. There is simply too much unknown about what he will do or say, no way to foresee long-term consequences. I’ve even heard some historians contend you cannot judge a past President during his lifetime. That said, I think these addle-minded observations are worthy of presentation.

There is, in this opinion, a difference between the Political and the Person who holds the office of President of the United States.

The Political

As to politicians, I am compelled to note that I voted at age 21 for Barry Goldwater. As I once told his son, I am proud I did so and have never regretted it. I voted Republican ever after, with the sole exceptions being to vote in three Democratic Primaries for specific individuals and for specific reasons. I think this qualifies me as a conservative evangelical church member.

The current administration is quietly putting in place a great many of the political philosophy “causes” for which conservatives have dreamed for some time. Beware, though, of receiving that for which you pray. The consequences of what is happening in this Presidential term will change a lot of things not lend affirmatively to the sustenance of the Republic.

The Person

In the opinion, the person, as President, should present at least three attributes: Intelligent, smart (yes, that is a different thing), and moral. Getting any two out of three is a victory for the Republic. In my memory (which effectively goes to Eisenhower) Barrack Obama is one of the few who at face value present all sought for attributes. All I have personally seen in Trump is ‘street-smart’.

I have known men like Donald Trump all my life. Such men are street smart without being overwhelmingly intelligent; with morality always negotiable and dependent on the best interest of that man. Contained in their individual small-minded fiefdom their successes are redeemable, the harm they do can be limited, the good accepted knowing there will be a cost.

Ask me not what I think of Donald Trump – I like being a conservative evangelical.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Posted to Brazil Times Blog September 11 2017 We were there We were there when everyone from Maine to California said it was a beautiful ...