Saturday, October 21, 2023

 

Hospice Hostage Journal

by the very definitely not yet ‘late’ David L Lewis

Updated October 21 2023

At the instigation and insistence of my personal Registered Nurse (who is also my favorite red-headed niece) I was officially enrolled for in-home assisted living care by Hospice of the Wabash Valley. One would hope this does not mean demise is imminent. Rather, merely that death, as it is with all that lives, remains both random and inevitable.

Not sure about all the fuss. Don’t know why simple problems like having ‘symptoms’ on slightest exertion is taken so serious. Sure, my heart has been problematical for some time, and right bad here lately. Yes, several medical types have left me believing my heart is weak, ‘badly’ damaged, and has total blockage of a significant artery. And, there is that business about if they did try to do something, odds are the procedure would more likely kill me than do any particular good. But, hospice?

So, this is what happened my very first week of being 80...

Saturday 10/14/2023

Eightieth Birthday! Just threw that in to garner empathy for my cause.

Monday 10/16/2023

Favorite red-headed niece Jen drove 3-hours from Missouri to take charge. Taking charge being the nature of good nurses. Something about e-mailing her when I didn’t know what to do about sudden new ‘issues’. Lifeline calling her the previous Thursday may have been a factor, too. She had already plotted with our other children on what to do, and first of these to-do’s was arrange in-home care for uncle David. [Frankly, somebody should have warned my sister and I about raising caring kids. Who knew we’d reap what we’d sown?]

Tuesday 10/17/2023

Case Manager Brittney arrived with a lot of paperwork to deal with. Then my new nurse, Brooke came. For some reason I had moments when could not remember how to sign my name to all this, and had my nurse-niece sign. With four woman in room talking about me, it was time for a prudent man to get out of way and let them determine my fate (which they were going to do with our without me). I blame those womenfolk for my light-headedness – and that nitro patch thing.

Wednesday 10/18/2023

Brooke came for a 24-hour later follow-up. Recommended new drug. Told her Jen gets all med decisions. Brooke conspired with Jen (which is what women do), so I got new drug ordered. Brooke also left a bunch of medical Swag we don’t know what to do with. May try to get sick so we don’t waste it.

Thursday 10/19/2023

Young man showed up at front door with a shower chair and new oxygen generating thingee. These people do seem to be on top of their game.

Social Worker CJ came to see if me and wife of soon to be 58 years can get along in life. Think we were able to bamboozle her on that one.

CNA Amanda came to help with by-now much needed shower. Not too much trouble with the heart (or hip) thing, just more problem than Kay could be trusted with.
Friday 10/20/2023

The new drug arrived at front door. These people do seem to be on top of their game.

Got call from Hospice Chaplin Mike, apparently standard part of protocol. He’s coming Monday, when I otherwise would be Home Alone! Should be interesting, assuming my ‘graduation’ is not more imminent than protocol prescribes. Plan to give Mike copies of two of my blogs, one old and one unpublished:

Death Takes a Holiday https://blogsbythedaddy.blogspot.com/2023/04/waiting-for-god.html

This “Walk” I’ve Been On draft copy on request

Can’t wait to see what next week brings!

theGoodHeartedGrandDaddy!







No comments:

Post a Comment

 Posted to Brazil Times Blog September 11 2017 We were there We were there when everyone from Maine to California said it was a beautiful ...