Saturday, November 4, 2023

 

I’d Like to Sing the World My Song

music by Coca-Cola, lyrics by noted congenital amusia songsmith David L Lewis


I’d like to sing the world my song
and tell it of our love
But know I’d only sing it wrong
thou it comes from God above
It’s the Real Thing!

Dear Katie,

On the day I was born God realized what a basket-case He’d made, and that I’d need someone special if I was ever going to survive. When I was about two weeks old He made you especially for me, which is how I got to be two-weeks and nine months older than you. The bad news is that when you look at me you see how old you will be in two weeks and nine months.

Of all people you would know that music is not within the perimeters of my expertise. However, I do appreciate lyrics and sometimes see our life together in them. This is is our life together in songs that impressed me as germane to our story.

If our life together was to be told in song, the first would have to be my favorite of all, Some Enchanted Evening. You were the prettiest girl at the skating rink. So, when I met you I took the advice of that song, once you have found her, never let her go”. Don’t know which is more amazing: How young I now see we were, or how old I thought I was at the time.

Since then you have followed me down a lot of roads I would not travel again, and probably would not have taken if youth had not blinded their dead end. What the song writer called a journey of My Elusive Dreams. There were fair years and poor, changes and dreams, plans and hopes, moves and small towns, and five much loved babies. There were times of living by faith, usually yours. There were times of roller-coaster self-employment and fleeting minutes of actual ministry. When my health and life fell apart you followed one more dream when we came to Indiana. Here our last baby came to manhood and began his search. Here our second child is laid to rest. Here I wish my mortal remains laid beside yours forever, where we will share memories of the good things brought me by your willingness to follow my elusive dreams.

Marty Robbins wrote and sang My Woman, My Woman, My Wife which contains verses which speaks to me of you.

Eyes, that show some disappointment
And there's been quite a lot in her life
She's the foundation I lean on
My woman, my woman, my wife

Lips, that are weary but tender
With love, that strengthens my life
A saint, in a dress made of gingham
My woman, my woman, my wife

If our story is to be fully told, one last song must be shared, Far Side Banks of Jordan..

But if it proves to be His will that I am first to go
And somehow I've a feelin' it will be
When it comes your time to travel likewise, don't feel lost
For I will be the first one that you'll see

And I'll be waiting on the far side banks of Jordan
I'll be sitting drawing pictures in the sand
And when I see you coming, I will rise up with the shout
And come running through the shallow waters, reaching for your hand

And, I love you enough not to sing to you! In His love,

David


No comments:

Post a Comment

 Posted to Brazil Times Blog September 11 2017 We were there We were there when everyone from Maine to California said it was a beautiful ...