Saturday, March 9, 2024

 

I Don’t Believe It!

Doubts & Disbelief From the Quasi-Adult World of David L Lewis

Ghosts, angels and demons, even space aliens, okay. I mean, like, you know, mankind has known about that stuff since the beginning. Call me crazy, but there is a lot of stuff out there that is just not as believable as are ghosts, angels and demons, even space aliens...

I don’t believe Presidents can do that. Ask any random group of fifth-graders what they’d do if they were President and you’ll get answers like: “world peace”, “stop all wars”, “stop pollution”, “end crime”, “stop bad people from coming to America”, “stop prices from going up”. Let me assure you, my dear fifth-grader (and average tv/pc watcher), that if any President could do those things they would already be done. As President Harry Truman said, ‘No problem which can be solved gets to the President’s desk.’

I don’t believe any ‘expert’ knows everything about anything. There is always more to every story. Doubt anything which does not begin with “the state of our knowledge indicates…” To paraphrase my New Testament professor: ‘Nobody knows everything; the true expert knows what he is ignorant about’.

I don’t believe Polls provide ‘proof’. It is amazing how much these things are taken as “proof” something is true/false, will/won’t happen, or is loved/hated. I’ll believe Polls when all results include at least half the population and tell the exact number of real, live people who answered the phone and were willing to spend 5 minutes on the phone answering leading questions. But, they are done by polling experts, so there’s that.

I don’t believe News is ‘fake’ just because I don’t like it. If it’s opinion, it’s opinion. If it is “sources”, it’s a clue. If it is “two or three witnesses”, or printed and signed, or recorded on video, it’s evidence. If it’s submitted under penalty of law at risk of reputation and livelihood, it’s judicial. If it’s a lie, the truth will arise. And, Polling of fifth-graders shows if it’s novel third party narrative, it’s just as good as random expert opinions encountered on the Internet. The President can’t fix that, either.

On the other hand, having been there, I do believe this...


theDoubtingDavid!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 Posted to Brazil Times Blog September 11 2017 We were there We were there when everyone from Maine to California said it was a beautiful ...